This post is part of my adventure series…click here to make sure you catch the whole series.
Asking myself all of these questions about who I am…and why I do what I do…and why I believe what I do…is a scary thing to do. More times than I can count, I have stared at the ceiling at three in the morning wishing that I didn’t think as much as I do. Thinking perhaps that it would be easier all round if I shoved the stuff whizzing around in my head back under a rock and continued on to have a safe and quiet life that involved going to church on Sunday, working hard and enjoying my family.
But what am I afraid of? What are some of the things that I am likely to face and have to decide…will I fight or will I take flight? Here are some of the things that have the potential to derail my adventure if I choose to keep going:
- spiritual opposition
- people not understanding and thinking that I’ve lost the plot (I’m a recovering people pleaser)
- that I will lose friends
- that I might be asked to make sacrifices that will be too hard
- that I’ll be required to do something really difficult
- that I might take a wrong turn and end up at a dead end
- that my life may be transformed to the point where it’s almost unrecognisable.
So what could happen if I don’t take a risk and jump into this adventure and give it a red hot go?
- I would have a quiet, safe, controllable life
- I would miss out on fulfilling my life’s purpose
- I’d have to explain myself at the end of my days when I have to stand before my Creator and give account for my life.
Is it worth the risk to go on this adventure? If I am to have a victorious and exciting life following Jesus…I can’t afford not to go on the adventure set before me! I don’t want to be safe! Jesus wasn’t safe…he was a rebel, a stirrer, a risk taker! I MUST follow his lead! When I am faced with the things that frighten me I will need to keep my eyes on the goal and trust that I am on this adventure because God wants me there.
Over the past couple of months God has whispered in my ear over and over again…What I have planned for you is so much better than you can ever imagine! I have a pretty good imagination, so I’m excited at the possibilities!
If you want to see all of the posts about my adventure click here.